Work Study and Student Employment

What is Work Study?

Work study is a need-based financial aid award that is available to those who have completed a FAFSA for the current year. Work study is not applied directly to your student account. Instead, you are hired on for a job and will receive a paycheck for your hours worked. The Federal and State Work Study programs give you the opportunity to work a flexible job while you are attending college classes.

Some positions are also available to those who do not qualify for Work Study. Those positions will be marked as “Work Study and Non-Work Study Students May Apply”. If you are unsure if you have Work Study, please contact our Financial Aid department at 509-793-2088.

What's the Difference Between Work Study and Student Employment?

Essentially, they are both referring to the same thing, that is employment for students. The difference is where the money comes from.

Work Study is funding that is provided by the State or Federal government, and is determined based on your FAFSA.

Student employment is available to all students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits at BBCC. Students are paid out of department budgets when they do not qualify for work study funding.

Current Job Openings

Postings are updated throughout the year, as positions are requested by departments. Each department handles their own hiring and interview processes.

Any positions that are located off-campus are marked and will state where the position is located in the description.

Big Bend accepts applications through our online application system (NEOGOV) and for current open positions only.

You will need:

  • An email account to register and apply. You may obtain a free email account from various providers.
  • A cover letter
  • A resume

If you are a person with a disability and require an accommodation, please contact Kim Garza, VP of Human Resources & Labor at (509) 793-2010 or TDD (509) 793-2325 as soon as possible to allow sufficient time to make arrangements. 

Work Schedule
Getting Paid
Eligibility Loss

In order to be eligible for work study, you must:

If you are not sure if you have completed a FAFSA for the current year, please reach out to our Financial Aid department. If you have not been awarded a Work Study Offer, and you wish to inquire about your eligibility, please contact Katie McAdoo at or 509-793-2453.

You must reapply to all financial aid programs, including work study, each year by completing the FAFSA.

If you get a work study job, you may work a maximum of 16 hours per week while classes are in session. You may work more (up to 40 hours per week) during quarter breaks if there is a need in the department.

After you are hired, you will work with your supervisor to set your weekly schedule. You can view the total amount of your award on your ctcLink account, under the Financial Aid tab. The total for the award is for the year, summer quarter to spring quarter. If you earn the amount of your award before the end of the year, you will have to stop working.

How you get paid

How you get paid depends on whether you work on- or off-campus. In most cases you will be paid at your work place. On-campus employees may elect to have their paychecks directly deposited to their bank accounts; some off-campus employers may offer the same service.

When you get paid

If you work on-campus you are paid twice a month, the 10th and 25th of each month. If these days fall on a weekend you are paid on either Friday or Monday. You will need to track and submit your hours worked via ctcLink in order to be paid.

If you work off-campus you are paid by your employer directly according to their payroll schedule.

Record your hours worked

On-Campus Work Study employment requires you to use HCM Self Services in ctcLink to report your hours worked.  Your employer is responsible for verifying and approving your hours worked each pay period. Once you have submitted your work hours, the supervisor will receive notification to approve. Late submission of hours will be processed the following pay period.

Off-campus employers pay their Work Study students directly, according to the same schedule used to pay their other employees (must be at least once each month). You should find out what this schedule is when you are hired. After you are paid, the off-campus employer contacts the Work Study Office for reimbursement of a portion of your wages. This reimbursement procedure requires that you sign an off-campus time sheet verifying your hours and the amount of pay you received.

At any time in the year, the Financial Aid office may withdraw your Work Study funds if it is determined that you are no longer eligible. If that happens, we will notify your employer that you must stop working as a Work Study employee.

The most common reasons are:

  • If you don’t meet satisfactory academic progress, your Work Study and other aid will be canceled and your employer notified that you are no longer eligible. You may not work as a Work Study student until you have resumed satisfactory progress and your Work Study award has been reinstated. See information on Satisfactory Academic Progress here.
  • If you withdraw from classes or if your registration is canceled during the academic year, you are no longer eligible for Work Study and must stop working.
  • If your financial need changes, you may also lose your Work Study eligibility. You are expected to report any additional resources you may receive to the financial aid office. These may include scholarships, grants or loans not awarded or processed by Financial Aid. If you fail to report additional resources, your eligibility for future aid may be jeopardized.
  • Earning your award too quickly: If you earn your Work Study award before the end of the award period, you must stop working. If you continue to work, your employer must pay 100% of your non-Work Study earnings.

Off-Campus Employers

Interested in hiring work study students for your business?

Off-Campus Work Study, offered through the federal and state Work Study programs, provides bright, talented students with meaningful employment opportunities while reimbursing employers for part of the student’s wages. Under this program, off-campus employers pay the full wage to the student, and is later reimbursed 40-75 percent of the gross wages. This program allows qualifying organizations the opportunity to employ undergraduate and graduate students at reduced costs, thereby providing eligible students with an income to help meet their educational costs, reinforce their educational and career goals, and provide a service to the community. Work Study students present employers a pool of diverse, talented and enthusiastic workers.

Please contact Katie McAdoo to get started on the work study process.

Program/Department Contact
Covid-19 InformationRead More On Covid