Paying For College


The Big Bend Community College 2021-22 online scholarship application will close March 15, 2021. Current and future students can apply to all internal BBCC scholarships with a single application through our AwardSpring online system.

There are six(6) sections to the application: General Information, Qualification Questions, Transcripts, Recommendations, Essay Questions, and Feedback. You will need to complete each section to submit your application. In addition to questions and essays, the application must include an unofficial electronic transcript(s) and one(1) completed recommendation. More details on how to complete these tasks can be found within the application. This application is for BBCC scholarships and does not include external scholarships.


Unofficial transcripts are required for ALL applicants. You must upload your most recent transcript(s) into the application (the AwardSpring platform accepts common file extensions). Check your file before you complete your application, any transcript files that cannot be viewed will receive a zero score.

Current BBCC Students can access their unofficial transcript through the student kiosk. Copy and paste the transcript data thoroughly into a Word document and upload the file. Current BBCC students should also upload their high school transcripts if they have only a few classes recorded on their BBCC transcripts.

High School students must upload a transcript that includes all coursework/grades at the time you apply. If your school uses Parchment (eTranscripts), we highly encourage you to request your transcripts early to avoid electronic delays.

Students with a GED, who have been homeschooled, or who have no transcripts, please provide proof of your GED completion. If you have no documentation, write a detailed letter explaining your circumstances for not having any documentation and upload the letter in place of the transcript.


We require one(1) completed recommendation for an application to be considered complete.  Please note that sending a recommendation request is NOT the same as having a completed recommendation.  Letters of recommendation are requested via the scholarship application and will generate an email to the recommender providing them instructions and a link to upload their recommendation directly into your application.

We encourage you to double-check the email information you enter – if the address is incorrect you will not receive a notice. Follow up with your recommender to ensure that your request is both received and submitted. You are responsible for checking the status of your recommendations to make sure that your application is complete. 

You can ask up to four (4) people to complete a recommendation on your behalf. Recommendations from family members and letters dated before May 1, 2020, will not be accepted. 

If you have questions regarding the recommendation process, or if you have a physical letter of recommendation that you would like to upload, please contact Foundation staff for assistance.

Additional Info

  • Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
  • The BBCC Foundation provides assistance with the scholarship application and essay workshops during fall and winter quarter. Contact Jennifer Starr at (509) 793-2005 for more information.
  • Eligibility requirements vary according to the criteria established for each scholarship.
  • The application for BBCC scholarships generally opens early fall quarter and closes mid-to-late winter quarter, with notifications taking place toward the end of spring quarter. Dates will vary as they are subject to scholarship requirements and both the review and selection process.
  • Scholarships provide funding for the upcoming academic year.
  • Awards $600 or less will be disbursed in the fall. Awards over $600 are evenly disbursed over fall, winter and spring quarters.
  • Notifications will be e-mailed to the address listed on your scholarship application in AwardSpring. Be sure to update both the Foundation and BBCC of any address or email changes.

Complete the FAFSA/WAFSA and apply for financial aid. This is not a requirement for the scholarship application, however, scholarships that have a financial need requirement factor consider this a part of the scholarship criteria.

Employment Programs

Work-Study” is money earned through employment. In order to qualify, you must qualify for financial aid. Students are eligible for part-time work (up to 16 hours per week).

Federal Work Study

Federally funded program to provide students on campus employment opportunities. Students will be considered for a variety of jobs, which may offer valuable career-related experience. 

America Reads/America Counts

America Reads uses Federal Work Study dollars to employ students as reading tutors for preschool age children, children in elementary school, or in family literacy programs. America Counts uses federal dollars to employ students as math tutors for children elementary age through ninth grade. Students will be placed in schools or programs residing in our service district.

State Work Study

State funded program, where students will be placed in on campus positions relating to their major field of study and career goals or interests. Students must be Washington State residents.

Off Campus Work Study

State funded program to provide employers the ability to identify and hire potential permanent employees. Employers determine wage rates. Students must be Washington State residents.

Summer Employment

After receiving your Financial Aid Award Notification, contact Rita at (509) 793-2061 or email for student worker jobs.

(For students who demonstrate financial need based on a completed FAFSA/WASFA)


Students who have been discharged from the military or who are in the selected reserves may be eligible for money for school from the Veteran’s Affairs department.  There is an application process, and the student must be enrolled in an approved program.  The VA Coordinator will send certification of credits enrolled for each quarter to the VA. 

Veterans Educational Assistance

Please complete the required items within the Steps To Enrollment to utilize benefits. All documents may be submitted via email, FAX (1.888.820.2896), or in-person.

Eligibility for Veterans Benefits will be determined by the VA.  Go to to apply for benefits.  Veterans’ are eligible to apply for benefits under one of the following education programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30):  2 years active duty, 3 years active duty, OR 2 years active duty plus 4 years reserves.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): See your Voc. Rehab counselor for requirements.
  • Post 9-11 (Chapter 33):  Servicepersons who served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days after 9/10/01.
  • Guard/Reserve (Chapter 1606):  Completion of initial active duty for training.  Must be active reservist with 6-year obligation.
  • REAP (Chapter 1607):  90 days or more active duty support of contingency operation or full-time National Guard duty responding to national emergency.
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35):  Veteran’s death or permanent and total disability as a result of service.

Click HERE for more information and resources related to becoming a student and transitioning to civilian life.

For information regarding college credit for military service or schools, please see our Military Transfer Credit Policy.

For further assistance and Additional information, contact the BBCC Veteran’s Coordinator at (509) 793-2452.

Covid-19 InformationRead More On Covid