Dual Credit Programs

Dual-Credit Programs<br />

Dual-credit programs sometimes referred to as dual-enrollment programs, provide the opportunity for high school students to earn both high school and college credits in the same course at the same time. There are four main types of dual-credit programs: Running Start, College in the High School, CTE Dual Credit (formerly called Tech Prep) and Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB). These dual-credit programs are available to Big Bend Community College students as applicable.

Running Start

Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th-grade students to take college courses at Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. Students earn both high school and college credits for these courses. Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition but are responsible for mandatory fees, books, and transportation.

Click the link below to learn more about Running Start.

CTE Dual Credit

CTE Dual Credit provides the opportunity for high school students to earn college credit in their high school career and technical education (CTE) classes without leaving their high school campus. CTE Dual Credit classes are taught at the high school or skills center and integrate academics with technical skills to help prepare students for advanced education and careers related to workforce occupations.  Students should contact their high school to find out which classes qualify for CTE Dual Credit. CTE Dual Credit used to be called Tech Prep.  To request that credits for classes successfully completed be added to your Big Bend Community College transcript, please complete the REQUEST FOR CTE DUAL CREDITS form.

College in the High School

College in the High School (CiHS) programs provide college-level academic courses in high schools for qualified students. To provide CiHS classes, a high school contracts with a college or university. CiHS courses are taught at the high school by high school teachers who have met college qualifications to teach the class. CiHS courses must be approved college curriculum, listed in the college catalog; they are the same courses offered at the college, held to the same standards of grading and evaluation, but are taught at the high school. Students should contact their high school to find out which College in the High School classes are offered.

To learn more, please refer to the CiHS Handbook

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge International (CI)

Most colleges award college credit for students who achieve certain scores on the Advanced Placement (AP), Cambridge International or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams.  AP, IB, and CI scores are translated into credit equivalencies based on the following approved statewide crosswalks:  AP crosswalkIB crosswalk, CI crosswalk. Students pay exam fees. Every college has its own policy for awarding or transferring in credits and coursework.  For information about Big Bend Community College’s policies, please see the Admissions Home webpage.

Covid-19 InformationRead More On Covid