A shortage of long-haul drivers prompted the creation of Big Bend Community College’s Commercial Truck Driving Program. The course provides classroom study and behind-the-wheel driving and experience. Classes cover a variety of professional topics and prepare students for entry-level job opportunities. Classes include defensive driving techniques, brake adjustment, equipment inspection, hazardous material transportation, DOT log books, trip planning and other job related topics. Class space is limited and early registration is strongly recommended. Dorms are available.
Enrolling in the CDL Training Program
In order to successfully enroll into the CDL Training Program please follow these steps:
1. Apply for admission to Big Bend Community College
2. Complete and submit the CDL Application packet to Julia Gamboa
3. Explore financial assistance program
Call, email or come find us if you have any questions.
Commercial Driver’s License Outcomes
- Students, who successfully complete the program, will have the skills to be employed in the trucking industry.
- Students, who successfully complete the program, will have obtained the skills to pass the State CDL Exam.
- Demonstrate safe driving techniques
- Conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections
- Demonstrate safe coupling and uncoupling techniques
- Demonstrate safe shifting, backing and maneuvering
- Complete documents pertaining to cargo, hazardous materials, mileage, trip sheets, etc.
- Complete log books accurately